Saturday, August 15, 2009

Winners Announced, Website Revamped, and Wabbit Trails...

Sorry, I couldn't resist alliteration.

FIRST! Drum-roll please - I am announcing the winners of our year-long reading contest:

First Place - Leila Goheen
Second Place - Leticia Glidewell
Third Place - Debby Sumpter
Fourth Place - Kellie Minkler

Leila and Leticia both almost read 24,000 pages each this past year. Debby read almost 19,000 pages, and Kellie read almost 14,000 pages. Congratulations to all our winners - and thank you so much for participating!

To claim your prize - you must do TWO things :) First, leave a comment on this blog post about your reading experience this year - and second, use the contact page on this website to confirm your mailing address. I want to triple-check these boxes before we mail them out - they have a lot of books in them!

And just so you know - There were 3,509 entries!!!!!! That's a lot of entries and a lot of books read!
More than 2,000 people read 10,000 pages or more in a year.
More than 500 people wrote in asking for recommendations of books.
And over 200 people read through their Bible in the past year.
What an awesome contest.

Now, I've already had requests to do it again... whew, that makes me tired - but keep watching - I just might get adventurous and do it again!

SECOND!
Many of you have noticed that the website is a little different. We have completely revamped it and updated it, but it is still a work in progress. Please keep watching the appearances page for updates on my fall tour. I would LOVE to see any of you at the churches or speaking engagements or booksignings. If you still would like to try to squeeze us in - please use the contact form on the contact page!

THIRD!
I've gotten thousands upon thousands of emails through this site from those of you who follow the blog or just like coming to my website to check and see what's happening. Thank you. Thank you for reaching out to us, for supporting us, and praying for us. I've been doing a lot of thinking, planning, and reflecting. I'm looking forward to the future and what the Lord has in store for us. Be watching the blog for more details!

Thank you all for your patience as this summer has flown by and my book Welcome Home has launched.

Again, congratulations to our winners! Thank you to all the wonderful authors who donated books for prizes!
In His Abundant Joy!
Kim

4 comments:

Leila G. said...

Leila here. Reporting for duty. :)

As a child I read everywhere, all the time. During university and for about eight years (or so) after getting my degree I didn't read for pleasure--I'd had too much of all those dull textbooks.

Then one of my dearest friends recommended that I read "Wrapped in Rain" by Charles Martin. I was a rather new mom, had newly moved across the country and was very involved in many projects. I thought that I didn't have time to read (or for myself, for that matter).
But I read it. And then I read all the rest of Charles' books. Then I kept reading--at the table, while brushing my teeth, while cooking (not recommended), at amusement parks (to pass the time while my family was off riding the rides), during church (I'm sure that's forgiveable, right? lol)--everywhere!
When I heard about this contest, I thought I didn't have time to record everything I read for an entire year (I probably wouldn't have been able to if newspaper and magazine pages had been included in the count!). Hence the fact that I missed recording at least three months of books I read to my daughter and a few books that I read myself.
I have to admit that I didn't think I'd be one of the winners. I thought lots of people would read far more than me.
In the end I had a wonderful time recording my "reads." And an even better time reading them.
As always, I'm ever grateful to Charles Martin, who reignited my love for words. And thankful for my friend (sister!) Joanne, who introduced me to my beloved Charles.
I do hope you (Kimberley) will host this contest again. Thank you so much for this joy.

Unknown said...

I thank my mom for introducing me to the wonderful world of reading. She read to me often as a child and shared her love for reading by introducing me to Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins. I found Trxie Belden and Mom obliged by helping me buy several of them. Somewhere in a box I still have those books she gave me over 40 years ago.

Now I am enjoying introducing certain books/authors to my son. I love it when we can discuss what we liked or disliked about certain series or subjects.

I have been an avid fiction reader for as long as I can remember. I rarely go anywhere without whatever book I am currently reading. You just never know when you will have a few minutes of time to read a few more pages and be transported to another world.

Like Leila G. I don't think I got everything recorded. I know I didn't record all the children's books I read to the little boy I watch one evening each week. But It doesn't really matter. I've never given a thought to how many pages or books I read in a year. I was amazed.

Thanks, Kim, for hosting this contest and providing the fun and encouragement to expand our lives to other neighborhoods, countries, worlds . . .

Trekkie4Ever said...

I have always loved reading. It has always been one of greatest passions. As a little girl my mom set up this this huge walk-in closet and set up a bunch of children's books, classics and even a children's encyclopedia. I remember The Velveteen Rabbit and Corduroy The Bear being my most favorites.

When I read about this contest I was ready to get started. I love a challenge and I did my best in keeping track of all my books, and pretty much forgotten to put in some of the books I read to my boys. Oh, well...I still came out pretty good.

I made time to read and let my family know what I was doing and they were very supportive. Most of the time the tv was turned off and I truly enjoyed the quiet and sitting down delving into a good book.

I came to love many Christian authors and fell in love with the romantic stories from the pioneer days. During one book, I was enduring a "pioneering" time myself. We were one of the states, Arkansas, that lost power during one of the worst ice storms. And let me say that I did A LOT of reading, even by candle light.

Thank you so much for this experience and I have fallen all over again with reading.

Kellie Minkler said...

I can't remember a time when I wasn't in love with books. The first time I remember getting into serious trouble with my parents was for picking up a book that wasn't apppropriate for a little girl to read. I mean, I could tell by the cover that I probably shouldn't; but I wanted to read everything! Other little girls had their Barbies and other collectibles; I collected books. I'm more of a pass-them-on type of book person now, but there are some I just can't let go, including anything by Francine Rivers. During this last year I re-read the Mark of the Lion trilogy for the fifth or six time. I also hang on to my Karen Kingsbury and Colleen Coble books. (Collen lives in the same small town I do!)

I didn't read anymore this year than I typically do. But like some other contestants, I didn't write down everything I read. For me, a whole year of doing ANYTHING with consistancy is very hard. I, too, thought that the winning numbers would be much higher.

I'm ashamed that I didn't read through the Bible this year. It was a goal of mine to read The Message and I didn't even get through that. I have pledged to myself that I will finish it before Christmas am almost done already.

Thanks for doing this, Kimberley. It's been fun and interesting.

P.S. Is there an easy way for us to read each other's reading lists? I'm really curious to see what everyone else is reading.