Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ah, the Joys of Writing... and Taxes

It's that time of year. Tax season.

Tomorrow morning, I have an appointment with my amazing accountant for all my business related (writing/author)"stuff." He's been handling all this for several years, and as the business has grown, I've had to learn A LOT. Last year, he told me that it was a good idea to purchase QuickBooks Pro for my "stuff."

This is what has happened since:

I went straight to Costco and purchased said program.

Six months later, I realized I better figure it out to input the mountain of receipts/deposits/inventory... i.e. "stuff."

Looked at it.

Decided it was complicated.

Went and brainstormed a new book instead.

Looked again at pile of receipts.

Felt guilty.

Called a QuickBooks expert trainer to come teach me. (Thankfully this person still likes me after that craziness.)

Was so proud of myself after getting everything into the amazing program.

Then... I went on a six-week book tour.

Returned mid-November to face unpacking, laundry, the holidays, homeschool, and several more speaking/appearances.

Avoided the monstrous pile awaiting entrance into QuickBooks.

Moved my office, re-organized, scrapbooked, wrote, blogged, wrote some more, i.e. - avoided my "stuff."

Today, there was no avoiding it. And after my amazing assistant and I discovered that I had input over 200 duplicate receipts, I spent hours deleting all the doubled-up entries.

I whined and complained. Dented my desk from banging my head on it. And then moved my purple "complaint free world" bracelet several times for my behavior.

Daughter Kayla - and my writing partner on our suspense series set in Alaska - came in smiling with a hug for me and said, "Mom, I wish I was old enough to help you, you're working too hard."

What an encourager. Sigh.

Wait a second... I'm imagining a new and complex math project for the kids for school...

No. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

***
for more information on the "complaint free" bracelet check out
A Complaint Free World

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

no way! ROFLOL!!
I hate taxes too. In fact I'm years behind.
Don't tell.
Max

Anonymous said...

found you thru twitter as I was looking up quickbooks. Too funny. Think I'll follow your blog now.

Michelle V said...

What is so sad is that I love Quick Books. LOL. I know, I'm a sad individual. LOL. Back when I was in school we actually had to learn how to do tax returns as part of math in school No joke. I remember our friend who was my dad's accountant coming to school to help us learn. Ahh the old days. LOL.

Blessings
Michelle V

Anonymous said...

LOL - I'm the assistant. And let me tell you she doesn't think of the math assignment I might.
Lori. :)

Cheryl Wyatt said...

Kim, this is hilarious. We use Quickbooks so I know how complicated it is. I get lost in some of the drop down menus and can't find my way back out sometimes. LOL!

Hugs!
Cheryl

Kimberley said...

Ah, Michelle. Wish I had your love for it :)
Well, actually, I love the program. Don't love the input-ing so much :)

Cheryl, maybe we should get together and help each other find our way out. I'm sure you are better at it than I am. I'm still learning it... sigh. Praying for you guys!
Kim

Kimberley said...

And Max, I promise I won't tell.

to my other Anonymous comment - well, if you are looking for wisdom on your taxes, this is probably not the place - but if you'd like a little hilarity and chaos, I'm happy to have you here.
Kim