Friday, October 15, 2010

Superficial?

Do you have any depth? I'm not asking about the face-to-face you that a privileged few might get to see. I'm talking about the social-media-out-in-front-of-your-thousands-of-follower/friends you.

I've read a lot of blogs lately about professionalism, social media, blogging, etc. etc. etc.

And it's made me think. A lot.

Do you think there's the "professional" you and the "personal" you?
Do you think there's a "social media" you and the person you are face-to-face with your closest friends?

Here's my two cents on this (and as you read this - think about whether you feel the same way):
-I can only be the best "me" that I can be. No one else can do it. Only I can. Same goes for you.
-I'm a real person with feelings and emotions and thoughts. Don't put me on a pedestal. Ever. I don't ever deserve that. Or want it for that matter.
- I do believe that there is a "public" and a "private" persona. But for me, I don't ever want it to be a facade. I'm still going to be real whether it's one-on-one or social media.

Now let me ask you a few questions. Feel free to comment with your answers or to email or DM (twitter) or FB message me.

What do you look for in your networking - meaning - social media?
-Do you only want friends? Fans? Family?
-How much time do you spend on social media, blogs, forums each day?
-What interests you on social media? (for instance, I have people get upset if I don't tweet or FB enough about what I'm cooking - because that's what they want to know/see -and that's perfectly fine, because I love to cook, so it's fun to share with others)
-What makes you keep coming back for more? (websites, blogs, tweets, whatever - and I'm not just talking about here - I'm talking about every site that you like/visit)

Feel free to answer as few or as many as you like.

Why do I share this with you and ask you these questions? Well, frankly, I want to know your thoughts. And your opinion and thoughts are valuable here. And I really wanted to just get the discussion going about social media. Let's think about whether we are superficial or have some good ol' meaty depth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I definitely like it that your real. And I like you're variety. It's sometimes, funny, sometimes convicting, sometimes about your books and stuff. I'll keep coming back. I know you've had craziness, but I would like to see more often.

Anonymous said...

Agree with anonymous. Would you share more pictures? Recipes?
Carrie

Kimberley Woodhouse said...

Thank you, Anonymous and Carrie. I know I haven't been very consistent this past year. It has indeed been crazy. But I do appreciate you sticking with me.
We're actually playing around with several ideas and I think may post more recipes soon. And photos too :)
Anything else you'd like to see here? Or would you like to tell us about other sites that you really like?
Kim