Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Have This Friend...

Do you have friends that stick to you like glue, even when you embarrass yourself or do something stupid? I want to hear your stories.

I have a friend who loves me, and is always encouraging me that, "there is only one Kim." (Many people are probably thinking, "Praise God, there's only one!" Because I am a little on the crazy side.)

And I have several friends who stick with me even through my insane schedule and lack of communication. (I am SO thankful for that!)

And I have friends who started out as teaching buddies, grew into scrapbook buddies, Bible Study buddies -and then into the closest of friends - who knows how God is going to bless you with that special friend!

And I have a friend that has shared some of life's most difficult moments. We have been through the "wringer" together.

So, I'm going to tell you a story about one of my friends. My sister was getting married, and I was doing the cakes, catering, dresses, flowers, etc. This friend and I traveled together for the week of wedding preparation - otherwise known as code words "wedding chaos."

We had 4 kids in car-seats. In a mini-van. With ALL the stuff for the wedding (i.e. cake pans, all the cake decorating paraphenalia, flowers, pedestals, bows, etc.) Not to mention luggage and diaper bags, things to entertain the munchkins -- oh, and a TV/VCR bunjie-corded in for the kids to watch. (Anyone who knows me, knows that I am prepared for EVERYTHING - and do not under any circumstances, "travel light.")Go ahead and laugh.

Let's pause for a moment and really let that sink in. Deep Breath. You're probably all thinking that we were crazy. Well, that's beside the point - even if it is true.

An hour outside of our little town, we got lost in a city. The little highway we were following, zig-zagged through the big city, but for some unknown reason - the signs weren't all there to tell us which way to turn to follow said highway. Yeah. That was fun. We were in Louisiana, and needed to make it to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Oh boy.

Four adorably-sweet-children all asked at the same time, "are we in Tennesseesseessee yet?" Questions about our location were banned from that moment on. Of course, they were our chatter-box babies, and other questions filled the trip - but not about where we were at any given time. We told them we were on an adventure. And we were.

I still don't know how we survived that week. I do remember arriving in Tennessee the next day, and I vaguely remember a trip to the aquarium - and my friend and the kiddos going on a train ride. Other than that, it's all a blur of cake, cake, and more cake, buttercream icing, cheesecakes, heart-shaped crab dips, heart-shaped ice cubes, and lots of other heart-shapes... and purple... and lights... lots of lights. Oh, and don't forget the golf-course cake for my brother-in-law-to-be whose birthday was the day before the wedding, and the hundreds of chocolate-covered strawberries.

But - we will never forget the fun, and the bond we shared. It was such a special trip in so many different ways, and a crazy escapade.

So, I would love to hear some of your stories. What does "friend" mean to you? Someone you can cry with? Someone you can laugh with? Someone you can bare your soul to? Someone who will love you no matter what you do? Let me hear about that - comment on this blog, or email me through the website. Let me know if you mind your story being shared or not.

And to all of my wonderful friends - you know who you are - Thanks for sticking with me through thick and thin.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lord could not have blessed me with a better friend.
I love you.

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful friend and I could share some cooking stories of us, huh! I'll send one!
MH

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A STORY ABOUT KIM! BUT SHE MIGHT GET MAD AT ME, SO I WILL TELL YOU ABOUT MY SKY-DIVING BUDDY. SHE MADE ME DO IT. AND AFTER ALL THE TRAINING, I COULDN'T JUMP. SO SHE PUSHED ME.

BEST PUSH I'VE EVER HAD. IT CHANGED MY LIFE.
MEL

Anonymous said...

I didnt know what real friendship was until I met you Kim. You have stepped on my toes, held me accountable, loved me, laughed with me and cried with me. I can't wait to see others stories about their friends but I want to tell one too.

8 years ago I was about to give up on life and everything. Kim sang at a church and a friend dragged me along. Her testimony that night encouraged me and made me feel ashamed. I was giving up on God and yet He wasn't giving up on me. She talked to me a long time afterwards and prayed with me and emailed me. She always told me she wasn't perfect, that she made mistakes all the time and she lifted me up. One day at a time.

That's a friend. Someone I will always respect no matter what.
JHM

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Wow, look at all these anonymous folks with no name or just initials. Guess that's the signature of a popular blog and web site such as this one. :)

Let's see...friends. I'll admit, I haven't really had a long-time friend ever in my life. To me, that's someone who will pick up the phone just because and chat with you to see how you're doing. Someone who will be there in a pinch and lend a hand even when both of theirs are full. Someone who will encourage, challenge, correct and pray for you, sensing your needs even when you're not forthcoming.

I've had some close friends who know a lot about me and have lasted for years, but their lives have gotten so busy and they have their own network of people, of which I'm not really a part. So, I am left with long-distance communication via email or IM and no phone calls. Unless I initiate, I rarely hear from them. (sigh)

Now, a lot of this has to do with a 'distancing' issue I believe I have, and a 'front' I present that everything's fine. But I've spent so much of my life with people who don't care, that I'm hesitant to be honest with folks. Deep down, I wonder if they truly care as well.

Today, though, I have my husband, my matron of honor who lives back East, my roommate from college (also back East) and Kim, who despite her hectic schedule still manages to pick up the phone and call me once in a while and invite me over 'just to chat.'

Thanks, Kim!

Perhaps the tide is changing, and I'll finally learn what real friendship is all about.

Anonymous said...

This friend story involved Kim and another friend. We were doing a Bible Study together and holding one another accountable. When we began we didn't know one another at all. Since Kim was the pastor's wife, we voted her to be our "fearless leader." Our other friend and I were afraid to say anything or how little we knew, or how much we failed. Our first session, Kim was going through it, trying her darndest to get us to talk about things with her. Finally she looked at us and slammed her hands on the table. She looked us in the eye and said to get over our fear, to get over our pride, and be willing to see what God could do, and right along with the lesson were some really hard and I mean really really hard questions. She went first and opened up and very honestly told us an area she was struggling with. Christianity became real to me that night. I had been surrounded by so many do-gooders and holier-than-thou peoples that my eyes were opened to a real Christian, living a real, honest and open life. I got saved. We had the Best Bible Study ever and I've been able to grow in my walk ever since. That's a friend. Willing to show imperfection and willing to be challenged to grow and learn more about our Great God.
Now I'm passing it on.
Kristie

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who forces me to go out with her. (I am an introvert) and I would be a hermit if not for her. That makes a huge difference to me. I'm a lurker online and would love to do everything on the computer just like on "The Net" - but thank GOD for her!
Jeanine

Anonymous said...

Grocery shopping with Kim. Little Miss plan out meals, plan out shopping, save your family money. It's exhausting. But she spent half the amount I did and got more food. I guess I will go again with her. Maybe a little of that "planning-ahead"-ness will rub off on me.
B

Anonymous said...

I could go on and on with stories of my few closest friends, Kim included, but I'm more of a quote person...given that, I have a Word Document filled with these, so here are just a few of my favorite friendship quotes...ENJOY! :-)

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

"Life is partly what we make it, and partly what is made by the friends whom we choose." - Tehyi Hsieh

"Friends are like pillars on your porch. Sometimes they hold you up and sometimes they lean on you."

"A friend will strengthen you with her prayers, bless you with her love, and encourage you with her hope."

"We always thought we'd look back on our tears and laugh, but we never thought we'd look back on our laughter and cry." -Author Unknown

"True friends are never apart, maybe in distance, but not in heart."

"Our friendship, like God's love, is a true, honest, and everlasting blessing."

"It takes a lifetime to thank a true friend for everything that they have given you."

"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." - Bernard Meltzer

"Good friends will help you move. REALLY good friends will help you move bodies."

And lastly, one of my personal favorites, and always a good laugh too!

"Friendship is like thighs, they are always sticking together."


onewhoswimsinpool