Thursday, November 12, 2009

Things I Learned...

I just returned from a six-week book/speaking tour for the launch of my book, Welcome Home.
Over the period of travel for this trip, I learned some valuable lessons that I think others should know, should they decide to venture out on a similar endeavor.

Now, I should give you a disclaimer: I have been touring for almost 12 years with my speaking and music ministry - but I'm still learning - as you will discover below. :)

Things I learned on my six-week tour:
  • Water is precious. This I know firsthand, from living in Colorado where we pay a pretty penny for our water. But in an RV - water is REALLY precious - especially hot water.
  • The inability to use cruise control for over 6,000 miles - while pulling George (the aforementioned RV) through heavy wind and up and down hills... not a good thing. I still have a cramp in my leg.
  • Aggressive, climbing snakes should be dealt with immediately if seen in close proximity to George. Trust me on this one. (Thanks, Erica.)
  • Lots of rain and wood blocks attract ants. 'Nough said.
  • Lack of reliable internet for six weeks while trying to work on my "marketing" - doesn't work too well.
  • Blackberries (my phones) that malfunction a week and a half into the trip - do not help the above situation. Especially when I couldn't use a "y," "t," "i," "u," "d," or "5" in any of my correspondence.
  • It is not the best idea to rely on people who have never pulled a trailer to assist/direct in backing up trailer.
  • Someone will inevitably think you're the coolest person around and ask you to sign their arm. (I had three!)
  • Always bring candy to booksignings. It opens the door for great conversations.
  • Always know where the bathroom is at booksignings. (Trust me, you'll get asked.)
  • Always be ready to twiddle your thumbs at booksignings. Be comfortable sitting there by yourself if need be.
  • When you're fortunate enough to sign so many books that the bookstore manager just about kisses your feet for being there - praise God, and be thankful. Remember the other signings where you signed five, and praise God for keeping you humble.
  • Be ready to sign your book any time, any place. For instance - the bathroom, or perhaps when you're dumping sewage. (See the previous blog post if the "dumping sewage" part threw you off.)
  • Bring lots of shoes. Just make sure you can get to them when you need them.
  • I love talking to kids. Elementary, Junior High, High School students. I had a ball talking to schools - and they seemed to have fun, too.
  • I really, really, really, really, really, really, like my own bed. And my home. I appreciate it all even more now.
  • I have some of the greatest friends in the world. Thanks for coming to see us and support us - and for the refreshment along the way.
  • My kids, Josh and Kayla, are the most amazing, inspiring, and wonderful kids around. (Okay, so I already knew that - but wow, they made the trip even better!)
  • Even if just one person's life was touched or changed, it was worth it.

5 comments:

Jim Rubart said...

Great insights.

Sorry, my wife says you can't sign my arm. :(

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being real and honest. again. I'm so glad that you let us know your not perfect. And I like to laugh with you.
Margo

Kimberley Woodhouse said...

Jim - I sure do love hearing from you. Too bad about the arm. But, I agree with your wife :) (btw - Love your site.)

Margo - thanks for stopping by! I appreciate you reading and laughing along, and joining me on the journey :)

Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

Great to have ya back home with us, chica! We missed ya around these parts. :)

Some fantastic advice too from lessons learned along the tour. Who knows if we'll ever be in those circumstances lugging a trailer behind us while on tour, but good nuggets to store if we ever are.

Thanks!

Kimberley Woodhouse said...

Tiff - you are great! Missed you too - can't wait to see everyone on Saturday at the meeting :)

It was definitely an adventure... and will always be - LOL!