Thursday, February 14, 2008

Worship

How often do you think about worship? Do you think of 'church' as the "worship service"? Or do you think of the 'singing' as the "worship" part of the service and then the sermon/preaching/teaching is something else?

Back in college, one of my favorite classes was Music and Worship -- we went through a book entitled, Real Worship by Warren Wiersbe and I think I learned more life lessons through that class than any other.

We were created to glorify God. In all that we do. So, how do we worship? Is it only when we're singing or participating in praise and worship? Do we have to be in a "church" to worship? Or can it be when we're listening to music? What about when we're singing in the shower? I know, I know -- some are you are laughing now, but think about this: If we were made to bring glory to God, shouldn't everything we do - be worship?

My thoughts on this are very simple. We should be worshipping all day long. As long as we have breath! That means when I'm brushing my teeth - I have the opportunity to worship God, when I'm tying my shoes - I have the opportunity to worship God, when I am teaching my children right from wrong - guess what? I have the opportunity to worship God. Have you ever thought about it that way? A lot of it is in our attitude. How do you look at your day? Do you think about all of the ways you have to worship our great God and Savior? Cleaning your house with a joyful attitude can be an act of worship, ironing, washing dishes, mowing the lawn, doing the laundry, pulling weeds, taking out the trash, changing a diaper, grading papers, teaching long division and fractions (yes, even though I hear some of you groaning)... ALL have the potential to be worship opportunities.

Now, don't start sending me notes about how impossible it is to have the right attitude all day long! :) I know this. In fact I've been working on it for a LONG time and I still fail, BUT, I know that this is my goal. To worship God in all that I do.

And yes, I have to talk about music too :) David has a song - Life is a Church - and I encourage you to go listen to it - great message!

So - get out there and worship. Take a walk, sing in the shower, tie your shoes, clean your room, study for a test, read your Bible...

...Worship.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come this is first time I've read something like this? It makes compleet and perfect sense and phrased so plainly. Even I understood this.
Will please share more with us? I know I will be much grateful!
Lau'inata

Anonymous said...

I am in Germany. Have watched your blog for while now. Friends are also interested. Do you have books we can buy on web? I'm learned and interested.
Please let me know.
Birgit

Anonymous said...

I love this!Thanks for the incredible reminder...

Heather Diane Tipton said...

can you guess what I'm thinking right now?

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Okay... because you called me and pestered me to tell you what I was thinking...

I was grumbling under my breath thinking of my job in relation to what you said.

But I was also amused because I tell basically the same thing to people all the time and get weird looks. Apparently worship outside the church is a weird thing to most people

Anonymous said...

I agree. I've never really thought about it and if you would have said something like this to me before I would have thought it was weird too.
But now I'm thinking. This is good.
real good.
Steve

Anonymous said...

Great post! looking forward to reading more from you...
Lisa

Southern Cheesehead said...

Yes...worship is life - it's your lifestyle - not an hour on Sunday morning...God help us!